Apr 30, 2008

The perfect sailboat for our dogs

Sailing to Moody Gardens, Galveston, TX

So easy to sail, even I can take the helm.
Update: We changed sailboats to a 34 foot Catalina sailboat in May 2010, and loving the wind in my ears at Galveston Bay and playing with the dolphins in the ICW.
Bud on the Hunter 27
Compact Space in the Hunter 27
Update 1: Our First Texas Sail Boat was a Hunter 27 (every weekend except during the hurricanes)...

I love to sail. So where is my sailboat (they got rid of the Hunter 23 in MS)? My family keeps looking for the perfect cruiser for brother Bud and me to play and live on-- at least on the weekend. I have done tons of research on how dogs can live on a boat. Now I want my boat.

We went last weekend to Texas City so we could look at more boats. We booked a room at La Quinta --clean uptodate dog friendly motel- and I enjoyed the motel. Large enough room for brother Bud and I to stretch out on our dog beds. Bud has started to shed so I told everyone that they need to shave him. Nothing yet. I get his hair up my nose. I don't shed. Yes, yes, a golden retriever like myself doesn't shed!

We went to see a few boats. I was so ready to board and go sailing, but I had to stay on the deck as they looked at the boat. Not fair or fun. I guess that it is better than staying in the car. Which I hate!! I bark and cry loudly to come get me if they leave me in the car.

We ate at the Southside Beer Garden which has excellent beef patties. If I am sweet, then Bud and I get one. We sit on the front patio and enjoy our burgers. Outriggers restaurant under the bridge in Kemah is really good too. They have swings which I love to swing with my family. We met a couple of other Goldens there last weekend. So fun and beautiful sights. Finally I got to go to Danny Jackson Dog Park again: swimming, chasing balls, making new dog friends, and practicing my leaps into the pool.

My family really went to Houston to hear Itzhak Perlman- they love violin music. (When the matriarch plays, I hide.) Mr. Perlman played at Jones Hall which looks very big from the outside. Dogs are not allowed inside; thank goodness, because I am sure that she would have me right next to the stage to hear that sound. She takes me to Miller Outdoor theatre many times. I love the singing, but ignore the violins.